Image Map

April 26, 2011

DIY Fabric Plate Chargers

Is it a charger?  A placemat?  A hybrid of both?
I honestly don't know but I am calling them chargers.

I can tell you that this is one of the most satisfying DIY projects I have ever done!  Nothing is more fun them making something both pretty and useful.  Such bliss.

My initial color scheme was my no fail, go-to colors of light aqua and pale green.  But I could not find any fabric that spoke to me. My husband had actually suggested we use two shades of pink (how cute is he?) since the theme of the gala is "We are Family." When I saw this fabric I fell in love with it and switched gears.

I saw a similar project like this recently where wrapping paper or contact paper was used on fiber board. But can not remember where.  If any of you know where you saw something like this, please contact me so I can add a link and give proper credit.  While churning this idea in my head for the Gala, I spotted some FOAM BOARD at the dollar store (while buying my little birdies).  I figured that would work and it was inexpensive too!
I started off by seeing what a place setting looked like.  
(Do you like how I did it up  a bit fancy?) 
 I then figured I would need 15 x15 squares and began cutting with a rotary cutter and cutting mat.
And they all turned out different sizes.  With me measuring it.  Causing me to sweat with moderate anxiety. Just so we are clear on my math prowess...if the free world's existence depended on my math skills...the world as we know it would end.
So I called upon this sweet guy who I happened to be married to measure and cut the fiber board FOR me.  Which he did.  CORRECTLY. Look at him lovingly sweating it out on our unpainted garage floor.  That is devotion. I gotta tell ya I love this guy to pieces.  And do you also notice how I posed him cutting an already perfectly cut square since I did not think to take a photo until he was already done?  Just keeping it real folks.
So my cut boards ended up measuring 13 x 13 and PERFECT!  
15 x 15 would have been too big.
I cut my material with about an inch (give or take) allowance on all sides.
After cutting and ironing all my fabric pieces, I laid out a foam board square and cut out the corner (blue dotted lines) to help me fold over the excess fabric onto the back of the boards.
With the right side facing down (wrong side facing up), I sprayed the entire piece of fabric with spray adhesive. You can use Mod Podge too but it will take longer.  
This method took me only 30 minutes.
Working quickly, I lined up the foam board corners with the cut out corners and began folding up the sides. I worked two opposing sides together so I could pull the fabric tight as I worked.
 It will end up looking something like this on the back...
And like this on the front. :)
 These really took me no time to make.  (Special thanks to the hubs).
A great finishing touch would be to put felt on the back.  I may actually try using cork liner.
(the kind you line your drawers and shelves with)
It's getting fun now, right? 
What do you think of these easy DIY chargers?
So many possibilities...

I may share the centerpiece or favors and place cards tomorrow.  Still not sure.  
But I will know by then!
I am beyond excited to see what the whole thing will look like at the end of the week!
Hugs!
xoxo

linking to this week:





17 comments:

  1. Lol! I swear I'm not stalking you...I know it looks that way since I am the first one to comment on both of your posts today!! I just happen to log-in to blogger right after you make your posts! Its has been the first post in my google reader twice now today!! Anyway...love these chargers!! So easy, yet so elegant!! I must ask...where did you find the fabric? I really like it & it looks like it might match the green wall color I used in my laundry room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the chargers are fantastic and i love that your husband helped you out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving all these table ideas! My church always has a women's tea in the spring, and I always host a table. I am getting great ideas, thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo pretty!!!! And I'm loving bird decorations, too! (But although I love animals, and ride horses, I'm a little scared of the real kind of living birds. They can just turn their heads in all sorts of weird ways, and so fast. It's just a little creepy!...except for ducks, I'm not scared of them.) I can't wait to see the whole table together, and I love the whole 2 shades of pink fabric...pretty and fitting in the Jessica theme too. I'm not crafty at all, but I'm sorta tempted to try this project :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I admit, I AM stalking you :) Lucky for you I live far away :) Ths fabrics is soooo you! Love it! Makes me wonder what I would pick...probably something with polka-dots or gingham...I seem to be stuck :) But I bet that is the way I would go :) Our church is having a tea party & they were looking for ladies to set a table & now I am wishing I volunteered! Next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness--what a fabulous idea! And so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. girlfriend this is Fantastic!! My head is spinning with all the possibilities!! I cant WAIT to see it all come together!!!
    HAHA i couldht stop laughing at your keeping it real!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it - and it gave me another idea!! Since I always seem to drop food on the placemat/tablecloth it would take only a day or two for mine to be a mess. So my idea is to sew the edges so they aren't raw and put velcro on the back of the foam board and on the fabric so they could be taken off and washed - and changed whenever needed. Great post crafty girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how fun! I’ve thought about mod podging fabric to the back of large plates...but I love that these can be cut to size...and they store flat too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these- so beautiful! I'm featuring this on my blog today. Check it out and grab a button!

    http://occasionallycrafty.blogspot.com/2011/04/three-things-thursday.html

    Have a great week-

    ReplyDelete
  11. What do I think? What do I think??? Brilliance! That's what I think!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love thsi idea! So cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soooo pretty! I'm always looking for new things to do at Christmas, and this would be perfect with some pretty Christmas fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Found your blog via Ucreate...LOVE it!! I'm pinning like crazy and have featured your chargers on my FB page! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!